Thursday, July 9, 2009
Jewish recipe - Challah Bread - Sweet Bread with Raisins
What you need to make Challah:
625 gr Fluor
0,5 Teaspoon Salt
50 gr sugar
20 gr raisins ( optional)
62 ml oil
255ml warm water
21 gr fresh yeast,or 1 package dry yeast
1 tablespoon water
How to do it:
1.Mix the yeast with a pint of sugar and the warm water.
Let it stand for 5 min in a warm place (a sunny place in the window is a great place) until it raises up. If it doesnt raise, than the yeast is old and you need to get a new packet!
2.Mix the Fluor, Salt,Sugar and Raisins.
3.Mix the egg with the oil.
4. Now give the yeast mix to the fluor mix and stirr it.
Than add the egg-oil and mix it.
5. Now put the dough on the working surface and knead it til it feels soft and supple.
6. Next put the dough in an oiled bowl and cover it. let it stand for about 45 min in a warm place. If its cold ( winter time) than you might want to turn on the oven in a low heat. When its warm, turn the oven off and place the bowl with the dough in inthe oven.
The dough needs to raise during this time. If after 45 min it didnt at least got a little bit bigger than let it stand for some more time.
7. Heat the oven to 180 degree celsuis
8.Knead it again and divide the dough into 3 parts.Roll each peace
into a sausage form.
Now enclose the ends of all three pieces on each other and make one
braid pigtail with them. Enclose them again at the other end and stick the ends under the loaf stuck.
9. Set it on a backing sheet and let it stand for 30 min.
Mix the yolk with the water and put the mix onthe dough.
Than put it in the oven and let it bake for about 30 min.