Sunday, August 28, 2011
This Drink is pretty popular here in Egypt especially in Ramadan.
My just husband asked me 2day to make it for Iftar.
Its very simple, thats if u r able to get the Paste somewhere :)
The Paste is made out of Apricot, Olive Oil and Glucose.
Water ( 1 litre)
Sugar (as desired)
Amr-eddin Paste ( about 300gr)
In a Bowl bring the Water to boil.
2. Cut the Qamr al deen paste in 2 or 3 pieces and put them in the water.
3. Turn the heat down to medium and let it cook til the paste is dissolved. Add the sugar and stirr til dissolved.
4.Let it cool down for about 15 min, put it in the Fridge until the Juice is cooled down.
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 large potatoes,cut in half, peeled, sliced thinly
2 medium red onions, sliced thinly
1 medium capsicum, chopped coarsely
¼ cup (60ml) skim milk
1 teaspoon of black pepper/ salt
1/2 teaspoon paprika powder and 1/4 teaspoon cumin powder
2 tomatos, chopped
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 small red onion, chopped
2 teaspoons tomato paste
1 Tablespoons Oil
1. Heat the oil in a non-stick frying pan over high heat. Add potatoes and onions, and cook, stirring, after 2 min turn fire low and fry until potatoes are tender.
2. Whisk the eggs and milk in a large jug. Add the spices and mix it well. Pour over the potato mixture in the pan and stir gently. Cook, covered loosely, over low heat, for about 15 minutes or until almost set.
3. Preheat grill. Cover pan handle with a sheet of foil, place omelette in pan under grill for 2-3 minutes or until browned lightly and set.
1. Heat the oil in a small bowl and fry the onions for 1 min. Add garlic n fry another minute.
2. Add the Tomatoe, tomatoe paste, spices and 1/2 cup water. cover the bowl and let it cook for 10 min.
If its still too liquid cook it until it reached the wanted thickness
Serve the Omlette hot with the salsa
Friday, August 26, 2011
3 middle long zucchini
3 small tomatoes
1 garlic clove
salt n pepper
2 tablespoon fluor
1 cube broth
400gr uncooked pasta
1. cook the pasta as described on the package. drain and set aside.
2. cut the zucchini in very thin half coins. put the oil in a frying pan and heat it. once its hot add the zucchini.
immediatly start to cut the garlic clove and add to the zucchini.
Let it fry until the zucchini gets slightly tender. ( about 5 - 10 min).
add salt and pepper.
set it aside and add the oregano.
3. chop the onion and cut the tomatoes into slights.
heat oil in frying pan and add chopped onion.
after 1 min add the tomatoes and let it fry for about 1min.
4. heat the milk and add 100ml of water.
when it boiling add 2 tablespoons of fluor and stirr well.
do not leave it and keep on stirring.
add half cube of broth, paprika powder, salt n pepper.
when gets thick turn of the fire and put aside.
5. now get a pan and put 1/2 of the pasta inside.
put over it the zucchini and over the zucchini the tomatoe/onion mix. now put 1/2 of the sauce. do not stirr just let it soak in by itself.
not add the rest of the pasta and put the rest of the sauce over it.
6 if desired add chesse on top and put in the oven for 5 - 10 min.
if u dont add cheese put it in oven for 5 min only. ( oven on heat 150C)
this is a lovly side-dish for meat dishes. its healthy and tasty.
3 Cups of white flour
1 Cup warm water
1 tbsp sugar
1 cup olive oil
8 tbsp Zatar
1 tsp salt
1 tsp active dry yeast
1. Mix 1/4 of the water with sugar ( stirr well) and than add the yeast. Let it stand for about 15 min.
If the mix comes up ( gets bigger anyhow) the yeast is active and u can use it. If it still looks the same the yeast is old and not usable.
2. Put the fluor and salt in a bowl and add the yeast mix. Mix it and gradually add the rest of the water.
3.Knead the dough for some minutes until it becomes a firm, elastic dough. Shape it into a ball and put back in the bowl. Cover the bowl with a moist towl and leave it for about 1 hour ( the place has to be warm, u can for example place it in bed under a blanket or if the sun shines near the window)
4. Now divide the dough into 8 pieces. Roll each ball gently until its about 1/2 inch thick.
5. Line baking sheets with baking paper and place 4 of the breads on each sheet. lightly grease each bread with olive oil. Let them rest for about 10 min.
6. Mix 3 tablespoons zatar with olive oil and put it on the breads. Stab each bread with a fork in several spots.
7. Bake them for about 15 min at 400 F in a preheated oven.
Bread with zaatar can mostly be found in Syria, but also in other middle eastern countrys.
It is more of a side dish and thethyme in this recipe is very healthy.
For the health benefits of thyme check this website Health benefits of thyme!
2 lb chicken breast
2 Tablespoons Olive oil
2 cloves garlic
1 Teaspon pepper
1 teaspoon paprika powder
1 teaspoon coriander
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon salt
1,5 tablespoons tomato paste
2 bell pepper ( any colour)
some bamboo skewers
Cut the chicken breast into pieces ( size as in the picture above).
Mix the spices with the olive oil, the tomato paste and the crashed garlic. Add the chicken breast pieces mix it well. Cover and leave in the fridge for 2 - 4 hours (can stay up to 24 hours if needed)
Heat a frying pan and fry the chicken for some min. It shouldnt turn brown so take it from the fire when the chicken is just cooked.
Put the chicken on a seperate plate and than fry the bell pepper ( cut in pieces) for 2 - 3 min. It shouldnt turn brown too.
Now take a skewer and place a piece of bell pepper on it and than a piece of chicken, and so on.
When ready put on the grill for short time. The grill isnt necesarry but gives the special flavour to it. Since we dont do barbecue here i used the grill in my oven ( means the fire is above the shish tawooq)
U can add soem yogurt, lemon juice and even parsley to ur marinade ( i just didnt had these ingredients at home)