Friday, August 26, 2011
Zatar/ Zaatar Bread - Bread with thyme
3 Cups of white flour
1 Cup warm water
1 tbsp sugar
1 cup olive oil
8 tbsp Zatar
1 tsp salt
1 tsp active dry yeast
1. Mix 1/4 of the water with sugar ( stirr well) and than add the yeast. Let it stand for about 15 min.
If the mix comes up ( gets bigger anyhow) the yeast is active and u can use it. If it still looks the same the yeast is old and not usable.
2. Put the fluor and salt in a bowl and add the yeast mix. Mix it and gradually add the rest of the water.
3.Knead the dough for some minutes until it becomes a firm, elastic dough. Shape it into a ball and put back in the bowl. Cover the bowl with a moist towl and leave it for about 1 hour ( the place has to be warm, u can for example place it in bed under a blanket or if the sun shines near the window)
4. Now divide the dough into 8 pieces. Roll each ball gently until its about 1/2 inch thick.
5. Line baking sheets with baking paper and place 4 of the breads on each sheet. lightly grease each bread with olive oil. Let them rest for about 10 min.
6. Mix 3 tablespoons zatar with olive oil and put it on the breads. Stab each bread with a fork in several spots.
7. Bake them for about 15 min at 400 F in a preheated oven.
Bread with zaatar can mostly be found in Syria, but also in other middle eastern countrys.
It is more of a side dish and thethyme in this recipe is very healthy.
For the health benefits of thyme check this website Health benefits of thyme!