Sunday, April 5, 2009
1/2 cup brown lentils
1 cup white rice/ egyptian rice
1/4 cup shareya/ vermicelli
1 cup uncooked macaroni ( small ones) You can mix small pasta with 1/4 cup of spaghetti, which has to broken into pieces.
1/2 Cup of chick peas ( this is optional) They have to soak in water overnight if you want to add them
How to make it:
1. Place lentils in bowl with 3 cups of hot water. Allow to simmer on low heat for 30 minutes, or until tender.
2. While, lentils are cooking you can already prepare the pasta and rice.
To know how to make egyptian rice with shareya check this link How to make egyptian rice with shareya. Its also on this blog. If you arent able to find egyptian rice use round grain rice or parboiled rice.
3. Cook the pasta until ready. Drain and put aside.
4. If desired, cook the chick peas until tender for 30-60 minutes.
5. Now you can put the koshari in 1 big bowl or in several smaller one.
In any case first you put a layer of rice, than 1 layer of pasta and than a layer of lentils.
If you use 1 big bowl to serve the koshari just put all the rice than put the pasta onit and top it with the lentils. put the chick peas on top.
Now to eat Koshari you will need to make tomato sauce and fryd onion.
Recipe for the Tomato sauce is here sauce for koshari
For the fryd onions simply take 1-2 onion and chop them evenly.
Heat 2-3 tablespoon of oil in a frying pan.
Mix the onion with some fluor ( about 1 Tablespoon).
Put the onions in the hot oil and fry til brown. Be carefull it burn easily and needs a lot of attention!